Now that the Holidays have arrived, with all the extra activities this season brings, it more important than ever to be in good health. With a very cold winter anticipated in the Minneapolis area (which we are already starting to experience), keeping the immune strong can be a challenge. Stress can have a negative effect on the immune system and a visit to the chiropractor can be very helpful. The nervous system and immune system work together to help the body adapt and heal properly. A chiropractic adjustment can enhance these functions and as well as relieve any discomfort a misalignment can cause.
Immune Boosting Tips
- Take extra vitamins, especially B complex and vitamin C. Lack of sleep and dietary changes are two key factors that weaken the immune. Take an extra immune boosting formula that was developed to prevent colds and flu.
- Hydrate. This is very important. If you don’t like to drink a lot of water in the cooler temperatures, drink some nice hot herbal tea (preferably organic). Green tea is also very healthy. Try squeezing some lemon into the tea.
- Don’t forget to exercise. The body needs physical activity all year round. Get creative. Wrap presents on the kitchen counter standing up rather than sitting at your table.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Excess alcohol has a negative impact on the immune system.
- Get enough sleep. Yes, this is often the big hurdle over the holiday season but it is important. If you are going to drink or indulge in sweets, don’t do it late at night. Sugar, caffeine and alcohol late at night can severely hamper your ability to get a good night’s sleep.
- Avoid or minimize stress. This is probably the biggest hurdle for most people at this time of year. If you keep in the above points – extra vitamins, adequate hydration, exercise, enough sleep, and not too many dietary abuses, you will find this easier than you think. If the body is feeling good, it is easier to remain positive and composed.
Stay strong and enjoy your holidays!