In the chiropractic field we often run into and treat phicial conditions that may prevent sleeping well, this is very comon here in Minneapolis. Whereas you can always come to see us or call us for assistance here are some tips to sleep better at night:
- Stop drinking caffeine by NOON. – Caffeine stays in your body for 7 hours. When you have caffeine in your body, it doesn’t allow you to fall into deep sleep.
- 7.5-8 hours of sleep are the minimum each person should get, EVERY NIGHT! – The body needs time to rejuvenate and process the day. When you don’t get enough sleep it can increase hunger, anxiety, depression and it lowers your immunity along with slows healing process.
- Don’t look at any screens 1 hour before going to bed. (TV, Computer, Phone) – Looking at screens before bed disrupts your ability to fall asleep and it changes the brainwaves necessary for deep sleep.
- Do not eat anything 2 hours before going to bed. – Eating before bedtime changes the ability of the body to fall asleep, and get deep sleep.
- Block out all light and sounds that come into your room. – When the brain sees light or hears sounds, it keeps us from experiencing deep sleep.
- Optimal sleeping temperature is 65 degrees.
- Have a good BED and PILLOW! Everyone has different bodies…therefore everyone has different needs when it comes to what they sleep on. Test out your pillow before you buy it so that it fits the curve of your neck. Tempurpedic and sleep number are the top rated mattresses because they fit to your body. Spring mattress should be replaced every 5 years. (If you wake up with a sore back every morning….YOU NEED A NEW BED!)
- Do not use sleep aids - Sleep aids diminish quality of sleep.